Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lafayette, LA -- Portland, OR

Feb 1, 2009

Blogging... I don't quite know what to think of it yet. But I was inspired by a certain Matt Harding to start my own (http://www.wherethehellismatt.com/?fbid=l0ue_BdaE27) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWUrj22pRD0). Not only has he inspired me to start selfishly writing about how "amazing" I am or the things I've done, or the places I've been, etc, reading his blog has motivated me to somehow convey all that in some sort of literary artform that many call Blogging. So this is, therefore, me breaking my virgin blogging experience - I am glad I can share this all with you.

I suppose I shall start in the middle instead of the beginning. I can come back to the beginning after I'm retired and have plenty of free time to try and remember the past 22 years. Rest assured, I have had loads of fun and I will never trade it back for anything. 

So, the middle then.

I recently graduated from my undergrad studies from Univerisity of Louisiana Lafayette with 2 business degrees - Marketing & Int'l Business. I then proceeded to move to Portland, Oregon as I had quite a number of options available for me up here - not to mention the weather in the summertime is absolutely one of the best in the continental US. The winter...not so. But that really doesn't have that bad of an affect on me like it does on everyone else up here in the NW. I do not excessively drink coffee to stay hyped up and happy throughout the day, nor do I stay indoors all the time. OK that last one was a lie, sort of. I'm on the floor typing random things that pop in my head instead of going out and enjoying the NW. (FYI: NW stands for Northwest).

Side note: I just sold my futon that I've been sleeping on for the last 8 months and slept on the floor last night. Was surprisingly comfortable. I like sleeping on hard wood floors, I should do that more often. They say its good for your back too. 

Back to the timeline. I moved up here because I thought that I would be attending graduate school for my Masters in IB (Int'l Bus.) and everything will be just fine and dandy upon graduation. After a long thought process, and moving up to Portland officially, I rejected the notion of attending school for another year and a half and decided to find a job. I took up a job at Waddell as a financial advisor, but quickly found out I wasn't getting paid b/c it was more like an internship until I pass some exams. Therefore, went searching again for another job. This time I landed in with Phillips and Company which is the 2nd largest investment firm in the NW. Its located on the 21st floor in the tallest building in Portland. I had a great view from my desk. I dealt with stocks and was trying to become the greatest investment advisor they have ever seen. Trying is the operative word there. Well, towards the end of my stay and my work visa expiring, I started looking at options for adventure outside the US. I am getting tired of being stuck in a place for 4-5 years and I definitely need a change of scenery. Don't misunderstand me, I absolutely adore Portland. It is one of the few places in the US that I can see myself settling down and kicking it for a while. However long that while is, I have yet to find out. 

I figured with the shitty economy, high unemployment, and me just itching to get the hell out of here, I came up with a trip that I've always wanted to do. It's very complicated and the people that I've mentioned this to have been supporting but has also been weary that I may not be able to get through much of it, but I am determined to do it and live off grass and tree barks, if I must, to survive. To summarize quickly, this trip is a way and means for me to just live for a while, outside of responsibilities, careers, and also for me to finally put together a business plan for my own organization. I will be traveling through 35 countries, 30,000 miles, sleeping on random people's couches (www.couchsurfing.com), walking, hiking, busing, training, flying, eating, drinking, sleeping, trekking, and anything else you can think of. I leave in April for London. So soon, yet not soon enough. I still have yet to buy tickets from Portland to Chicago (to visit a Jacob & his family), then Chicago to NYC to see my sister Shermaine and spend Spring Break with her, then onwards to London and the beginnings of new beginnings - as the blog is so aptly titled. 

Rewind a bit.

I suppose my journey truly began when I moved up to Portland from Lafayette. After staying in Lafayette for 3 years, I decided it wasn't for me to stay. It is not in me to settle in some place for long periods of time. I have no understanding of home, nor nationalism or patriotism. I suppose I can attest to that because of how often I've moved in my life and how many different countries and cultured I've immersed myself in. Well, for what it's worth, I wouldn't change it for anything. 

My move to Portland was anything but uneventful. I drove 3000 miles, across plains, deserts, coastline, oh and Texas (which I will never ever drive across TX again), to make it up to Portland. Not to mention I had a car full of crap that I've accumulated over the years. Looking back, I don't understand why I didn't just sell everything and live like a minimalist. I actually enjoy being a minimalist, but it is hard for me to do. I hate that I can't just do it. Any way, I suppose I am rambling for my de-virginized blog now. I shall post my itinerary for all of you to see how far I drove and under the conditions in which I drove. 






And this was my driving route courtesy of Michelle who did a wonderful job in outlining my whole trip with pictures and everything. I appreciate it, Michelle. Maybe you can help me on this next portion of my trip.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Shaun! Thanks for mentioning me and displaying my images in your new blog! I think you're going to enjoy this new journey. I'll follow you, as always! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be sorry to see you leave Portland but I am not in the least surprised you're leaving. As you said, you just don't seem like the type to settle down in one place. I don't think I'll be here much longer, either. I love Portland "the place" but Portland "the people"....eh, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand the itchy feet thing.

    Since April isn't for a couple of months, a couple of great reads I've found inspiring: Into the Wild, The Cactus Eaters and anything by Jack London.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was fun to see you when you were on your way to Portland. Sorry we haven't seen you since then! God bless you on your journey. We'll be following!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted you to be safe and sound on your journey into the wilderness

    ReplyDelete
  6. But you cant get to dress up like an actor like you always do, too bad , my friend

    ReplyDelete
  7. "In a connected world, power shifts to those best able to connect" you are one of these persons!! keep connecting the dots!! and keep posting!!congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey man,

    I've added your RSS feed and am looking forward to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey all,

    I wanted to say thank you much for reading, subscribing, and following! The 1st entry was a success! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete