Thursday, February 26, 2009

Leaving Portland, next stop Chicago (Feb 21-26)



Feb 21-23rd

It feels like a part of me is missing. A part where greenery, hippiness, no-sales tax, relaxation, stocks, good Korean food, amazing Henry's & PCG happy hour,  hills, and most importantly, friends have been left behind to pursue my dreams. I do not know why I keep doing this. Is it because of the love of travel and culture? Or is it a deeper, psychological issue - perhaps the inability to settle down at one place. I let myself leave places where I enjoy and am comfortable with, to be at a loneliness I no longer want to endure anymore. But, again and again, I continue on this cyclical path - making new friends, falling in love with a city, getting up and moving again, to make new friends again, thus leaving old ones behind. 

My leaving Portland has been a tough one. It was apparent to myself and all those around me that I found love and peace with the Northwest. Leaving was incredibly hard, to the point where I questioned whether I want to even continue with what I had planned. The few days leading up to my leaving was even tougher than imagined. I thought by looking forward to the trip would make things easier, however, tearing myself from people I enjoyed and leaving a place I fell in love with was harder than expected. Portland is truly a place where the people made the experience worthwhile, but the city itself was a major part of it as well. 

The second to last night, 22nd, was great fun, however, the last night, 23rd, would be a moment I'd treasure dearly. I put together an international potluck, which consisted of 8 countries, ethnic food from each, 14 people, and a spectacular time. Here's some pictures of everyone at the potluck:

I received a rather smelly gift from my friends that night - a signed shirt stained with blueberries, devil's eggs, coffee powder, and wine, among other things. It is a wonderful memento, just not pleasing to the nostrils.

I took a 7am flight out of Portland to Chicago. I cannot express how much I dislike flying within the continental United States. There is absolutely no joy in it whatsoever. You fly for 6-8 hours and you are still in the same country. I did not get much rest the night before due to the potluck and not having packed sooner, so I spent the majority of the early morning before I left packing and finalizing everything.

No rest. Short 2-hr flight to Long Beach, California. Wonderful 60 degree F weather. Short layover, just 15 mins. 4-hr flight to Chicago.

*Thanks to Yu for hosting me, putting up with me, and waking up to send me off early in the AM.

23-26th

Chicago is very cold. There's snow on the ground and having close to 100 lbs (45kg) of luggage to drag around is not a pleasant thing when you have to take public transportation and have to walk for half an hour. I had to endure the cold and walk to the train that will take me into the city, then walk to the bus station and get on the 77 bus to get to my fellow Couchsurfer's house. Then there's a 15 min walk in the freezing weather. I did not had appropriate snow clothing on as I left Portland where the weather was at 55 degree F for almost an entire week! I learn wind-breaker jackets are not meant to keep a person warm.

I had not eaten at all since the potluck on the 22nd night. I was tired, jet lagged, freezing. Upon reaching Kursten's apartment, I was greeted with a warm smile at a toasty abode. It was fantas-bulous. We ended up talking for a bit before heading out to grab a quick but tasty dinner before the movie. The rest of the night was filled with tears and laughter and reminisce of past endeavors. A wonderful time indeed, Cheers Kursten! 

We were suppose to have a wonderful breakfast before I took off in the AM the following day, but we were both exhausted so we decided to postpone it till Saturday when we'll get together again for a fun-filled C'est la night!

I will never again take the Greyhound. That was my initial thought after taking the Greyhound back from Seattle to Portland back in December. It was long, it was uncomfortable, and most of it, dreary. But, here I am again taking another 6-hr bus ride from Chicago to Iowa City to hang out with an old buddy Jacob and his family. 

It was real good to see them again. Really good. I have missed them much. The last couple of days have just been relaxing and not doing much. Had a delicious Korean dinner after getting off the Greyhound on the 24th. Played some basketball and caught up on some much needed sleep on the 25th. Shot some clay pigeons with a 12-gauge shotgun on the 26th and watched numerous movies. All in all a very relaxing time with people I've known for almost a decade now. I also miss Zack and Chicka (their dogs)! Pictures will come shortly.

It has been slow and wonderful. I could not have asked for anything else. Figured its a good time to sign off so I'll be doing that now. Until next time...

P.S. Thanks to Oko D., I finally have a website domain up and running. We will collaboratively design the website and it should be up and running within the next couple weeks. Looking forward to that, and so should you!

3 comments:

  1. shaun, just wanted to say im in love with the picture of you in your "pdx" shirt, love the facial expression-- haha....
    next time your in the midwest we'll have to find a way to meet up, even if it means another 6-hr bus ride for one of us... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. shaun,
    chung here. haven't talked to you for ages, and look what sort of devious plan you've come up with in the meantime! wish you the best of luck with your journey, godspeed and go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey mate, having massive issues sending you a message through CS - send me an email - santiago.desilva@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete